Catastrophe Prevention Day at Imagination Station
August 24, 2013: Imagination Station hosted Catastrophe Prevention Day where visitors met Toledo-metro area emergency organizations. Visitors learned about catastrophe risks, safety preparedness, and career opportunities as they explored emergency vehicles and tried on safety gear.
The following people/organizations were present to educate guests about how to prevent a catastrophe and how to respond if one does occur:
- American Red Cross – Visitors played their Plinko game and learned about health and safety training, how to prepare for an emergency and how to help when disasters strike at home and abroad.
- Chief Meteorologist, Jay Berschback, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. - Visitors learned what a meteorologist does; the difference between a weather watch and warning; and how to stay safe during tornados, floods and extreme hot and cold weather.
- ProMedica Ambulance*, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Visitors looked inside an in-service vehicle and learned about an ambulance's role as a first responder.
- Safe Kids - Kids tested their fire safety skills by extinguishing a simulated fire in the interactive Fire Safety House. Visitors learned about fire safety, fire escape plans and how to call emergency services.
- Storm Chaser, Allan Detrich - Visitors can explore a storm chasing truck, examine special storm-chasing equipment and view photographs of storms and severe weather.
- Toledo Fire & Rescue Department – Visitors learned about firefighting and fire safety, explored a fire truck and used the fire hose.
- Toledo Police Department - Visitors explored a police car, a SWAT truck and motorcycles.
- U.S. Coast Guard - Visitors explored a boat and a truck, tried on equipment and met the Coast Guard’s dog, Marley.
Imagination Station, Toledo’s Science Center, is a non-profit organization that is an integral part of Toledo’s economic, educational and social landscape. With hundreds of hands-on exhibits and demonstrations, Imagination Station delivers a multi-sensory experience that’s as fun as it is educational. Imagination Station provides a critical layer of science enrichment by serving as an educational partner for teachers, schools and parents. It’s with a thoughtful blend of exhibits, experiences, education and excitement that Imagination Station inspires visitors to pursue STEM careers in Northwest Ohio.
For more information, call 419.244.2674.