Discover Downtown Toledo with 2011 walking tours
Explore downtown Toledo this summer with the 2011 Discover Downtown Toledo Walking Tours, sponsored by the UT Urban Affairs Center and the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library.
The free lunchtime tours are held each Thursday from July 7 through August 25, 2011. Each tour, led by a volunteer guide trained in Toledo history and architecture, takes participants to different areas of the city from historic Birmingham to The Valentine Theatre.
“The downtown tour program is a great way to learn Toledo’s rich history and appreciate the beautiful architecture downtown,” UT Urban Affairs Center Assistant Director Sue Wuest said. “There’s such a variety of tours that there’s certainly something for everyone.”
Tours are held rain or shine. Participants receive a free copy of the award-winning Discover Downtown Toledo Walking Tour Guidebook.
The tour schedule is:
· July 7: From Hollywood to Heaven. Meet at St. Clair & Adams streets by Trinity Church.
· July 14: Vistula, Toledo’s Oldest Neighborhood. Meet at Elm & Superior streets.
· July 21: The Valentine Theater Alive & Well. Meet at Superior Street entrance.
· July 28: The Heart of Birmingham. Meet in parking lot of St. Stephen’s Church, 1880 Genesse St. Tour begins with a neighborhood tour and ends with a church tour at 1 p.m.
· Aug. 4: Martin Luther King, Jr. Plaza. Meet on the lower level of the Amtrak Station, 415 Emerald St.
· Aug. 11: Extreme Restoration: The Casey Pomeroy House. Meet at 802 Huron St.
· Aug. 18: Discover Major Oliver’s House. Meet in the Maumee Bay Brewing parking lot, 27 Broadway St.
· Aug. 25: The Huntington Center. Meet at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Huron Street. Huntington Center staff will lead the tour. Cost is $2 per person.
For more information about the Discover Downtown Toledo Walking Tours, contact the UT Urban Affairs Center at 419.530.3591 or [email protected].