Cuyahoga County Public Library to launch innovative Mobile App
In celebration of National Library Week (April 10 – 16), Cuyahoga County Public Library is taking convenient borrowing to a whole new level with a first-of-its-kind mobile smart phone app that allows its customers to access reviews and check out materials by simply scanning the item’s barcode. CCPL is the first public library in the United States to deploy this multi-platform mobile app developed by Boopsie Inc.
The CCPL Mobile app is available to CCPL cardholders for free download from the app stores of all major mobile operating systems, including Android, BlackBerry, J2ME, Palm OS, Symbian S60, Windows Mobile, iPhone, iTouch and iPad. Android device users will be the first to be able to take advantage of the new check out feature. Support of iPhone and select Blackberry devices will follow shortly.
With CCPL Mobile, library customers can also:
- Search for items in the Library’s catalog quickly and with minimal keystrokes.
- Read item reviews and summaries.
- Access their cardholder account to renew and reserve items.
- Use the GPS-aware locator to find Library branches and hours of operation.
- Access “Know It Now”, the 24/7 online reference service, get live research assistance from a librarian, reading recommendations and answers to questions.
- Connect with Cuyahoga County Public Library on Facebook and Twitter.
CCPL has a history of innovative mobile services. It was the first library system in the United States to offer text message notification and renewal services to its customers free of charge, and in 2010, CCPL received the Urban Library Council’s “User Experience” Innovation Award for its “Renew by Text” service.
“We are delighted to have found a business partner in Boopsie that is willing and able to help us become the first public library to offer this amazing new app,” said Sari Feldman, CCPL Executive Director and past president of the Public Library Association. “Our vision is to be the most convenient library in the nation, and this interactive, innovative new technology represents the pinnacle of convenience for our customers. This app will enable us to broaden the reach of our services to the mobile community, and it’s an absolute thrill to launch it during National Library Week.”