Feds round up dozens in immigration crackdown
DETROIT, June 8, 2006 (AP): Federal agents have rounded up dozens of people, most from the Balkans, during a five-day crackdown on undocumented immigration in southeastern Michigan, according to a published report.
As a result of what was named Operation Motor City, 63 people, ages 10 to 60, were undergoing deportation procedures Wednesday, according to the Detroit Free Press. It said the operation ran from May 31 through Sunday.
“This was just one operation, and there will be more in the future said Rob Baker, director of detention and removal operations for the federal Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Detroit.
Twenty-five of those seized were from Albania and eight were from Macedonia, officials said. In all, 13 countries were represented, they said.
Many of those seized had jobs, and some had been in the U.S. as long as six years. Two had criminal convictions.
In one case, a mother and her children under deportation orders were allowed to remain in their home, but the father was detained, Baker said. He said all will be deported.
Information from: Detroit Free Press, http://www.freep.com