Holiday Parade canceled due to virus
TOLEDO, Sept. 15, 2020: The Blade Holiday Parade planned
for November 14 has been canceled.
With large inflatable character balloons, several high school
marching bands, and members of the Distinguished Clown Corps,
the parade is one of the largest in the region. An estimated
25,000 people attended the 2019 event, which showcased more than
“The parade’s success actually is part of the issue,” says Blade
President and General Manager Kurt Franck. “How can you
keep more than 600 parade participants, and 25,000 spectators
The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department
does not permit parades now, and no one knows at this point what
the status will be in November when it comes to COVID-19.
“It’s too risky to make major event plans,” Mr. Franck added.
“We must do the best we can with the information we have now.
Even if the coronavirus appears under control in November, it is
impossible to know if parents would feel comfortable bringing
their children to such a large-scale event.”
After discussion with the main sponsors, including Yark
Automotive, the Distinguished Clown Corps, and
Walt Churchill’s Markets, the tough call to cancel the
parade was made.
The Saturday parade had been slated for November 14 in downtown
Toledo and would have marked the event’s 33rd year.
Under normal circumstances, plans would already be in full gear
– arranging parade marshals, marching bands, inflatable
balloons, clowns, and units, as well as handling travel plans
from the North Pole for the guest of honor, Santa Claus, to be
part of it all.
“The parade can return bigger and better than ever in 2021,” Mr.
Franck said. “As for now, we are exploring other ideas to help
brighten the holidays for young and old alike.”